Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Beginning - From Birth through Four Months



Let's see. How do I catch you up from my birthday until now? My parents planned for me to be born at home, in water, in their arms. Mama hung in there for a couple of days while I positioned myself, but ultimately I arrived at Cambridge Hospital, in the company of loving midwives. My mama had thirty minutes to push me out before the threatened c-section, and, together, we did it. I was stunned to enter the world, but mostly curious to see what my mama and daddy looked like, since they talked to me so much in the womb. I stared at my mama with one eye open, like popeye, for a very long time. I never left her arms, except to be held by daddy, for the first few hours of my life. My mama says that my birth was beautiful. All I know is that I was warm and happy, and amazingly strong, the whole time.
It's hard to be born in the winter in Boston. I hold my breath every time we step outside. It shocks me. I spent my first few months mostly in my mama and daddy's arms, or being carried in a sling or wrap. They dubbed me the "velcro baby". I am happiest when I am attached to them. Wouldn't you be?
My mama loves to dress me up in the outfits people bought me, and take my picture. I'm afraid this pasttime may never go away. Sometimes I pose for the camera, and sometimes I plead for her to put that thing away and pick me up.
I've had so many visitors in my first few months. Nani Ga, my mama's mama, Grandpa John, Grandma and Pop (Pop flew in from Florida for a 3-hour visit just to see me!), Grandpa Maury, Great grandparents Adiletta, and Great Grand-Papa, my aunts and uncles, cousins, great-aunts and great-uncles, and loads of friends.
People say that I look mostly like my daddy, especially when I'm being serious, or cocking one eyebrow, which is usually at daddy anyhow. Feature by feature, I think his genes dominated. I look like my mama, though, when I smile, or when I am perplexed, and furrow both of my brows. I can look very intrigued and concerned for a little person.
I am fascinated with the ducky in the tub (I try to pick it up with my mouth, but can't seem to figure it out. There must be an easier way...), my fist and thumb, and the furry animal called Phoebe. There's something different about Phoebe than my other toys.
I love when mama talks softly to me and tells me all kinds of things, like what we're doing today, how beautiful I am, and how amazing my life is going to be. Daddy sings songs to me that he makes up himself, and also makes up rhymes. Daddy also likes to play airplane with me, and I am very good at making my arms stiff as a board, just like the wings. Oh, and I like to help my parents change my diaper by pulling my legs up for them. They think its pretty neat. Of course, they think everything I do is amazing, which is why I am called Amazing Amelia.

No comments: